Microtransactions, the good, the bad and the good.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2018
Platform
[PC]
Javelin:
RANGER
I am curious to hear about your experiences with microtransactions in other games.

Not just the obvious horror stories, but some examples where it was ok!

For example, in PlanetSide 2, I would buy the monthly subscription which gave you in-game "cert" points, which could be put towards getting upgrades/sidegrades.

You could either grind away in the game and earn those cert points, or you could buy them. The funds go towards supporting the game, and you get the weapon you want!

Are there cases where you feel microtransactions are perfectly fine?

Chime in:

Chaunsay

Freelancer
Apr 4, 2018
Pretty evil imo. While it's fine for most level headed gamers, like in your case where you have the funds and forethought, but I've seen the devil first hand. Fortnite has been taking micro trans for a while now but still "unreleased". My 10 yr old nephew is throwing money at vanity items, literally believing that other players view these things as status symbols. It also seems like they're trying to build gamblers. I have a work friend that has over $10k into the mobile game Guns of Glory, or something... stupid castle game, $10k.

I have a fair bit into SC, but I believe in the project and the game was openly crowd funded. I'm pretty done with all these half baked games releasing during Alpha/Beta, having multiple purchase levels, and then milking with micros... but this is the gaming horizon now. I guess I miss the pay $xx and just play it days.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2018
Platform
[PC]
Javelin:
RANGER
My 10 yr old nephew is throwing money at vanity items, literally believing that other players view these things as status symbols.
I can see the appeal of that, but where does a 10yr old get money to throw at a game?

Chaunsay

Freelancer
Apr 4, 2018
I can see the appeal of that, but where does a 10yr old get money to throw at a game?
He's got my sisters credit card info stored for annual PS subs and such. Last time we were playing he asked for $35 for something called a battle pack for fortnite. She ok'd it, he purchased the V-bux but went crazy and purchased all this other crap. I understand, he's 10 and parents need to be mindful blah blah. I'm more commenting on the problems people can have with it.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2018
Platform
[PC]
Javelin:
RANGER
She ok'd it, he purchased the V-bux but went crazy and purchased all this other crap.
I can see this being a competitive issue with kids.

One kid gets some fancy skin, then his friends all want it too.