How much influence does EA have over Bioware?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2018
I recall reading a post by Bioware creative director Brenon Holmes on reddit about how EA does not really have tight reigns over Bioware like a lot of people think.

This has been confirmed yet again from an ex Bioware employee Aaryn Flynn who was a General Manager.

Ex Bioware Boss Says EA Is Excellent at Giving Creative Freedom and Didn’t Impose Frostbite Engine

Former Bioware boss Aaryn Flynn left the company in July 2017, as you might recall, with Casey Hudson taking his place as the studio’s General Manager.

Flynn had been there for over seventeen years. His credits include Baldur’s Gate II, Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins. Then he became the Bioware boss and oversaw the production and development of Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect: Andromeda.

[On whether EA execs require studios to add microtransactions and similar stuff]

Not in my experience, no. They have an ambitious business plan and they want to do certain things, everything from growing market share to entering new markets, but those are very good goals, there’s nothing controversial about those goals. They have a very solid business plan that everybody is aware of and everybody works hard to deliver.

I think they are a great company to be a part of because they care very much about the creative process – they care about that – so they want you to be successful, and they will do whatever they can to help you be successful. Every company has got constraints and thinks you gotta do, things you have to get done, but they are excellent at giving creative freedom for sure.

Full article here: https://wccftech.com/ex-bioware-boss-ea-creative-freedom/amp/

Last edited: