Anthem vs Warframe vs Destiny 2: The Dews and Dew nots.

Sum1

Freelancer
Mar 26, 2018
Ok, let's have a real talk about Anthem, what does it need to do? what does it need to avoid? I feel the best way is to talk about what Warframe and Destiny get right and wrong, and if that applies to Anthem.

Destiny 2 dews:
gunplay:
The gunplay in Destiny is very strong, most guns are crazy fun to use, feel really good, control well, and perks that if used right can give you a crazy amount of extra abilities making a good skill curve from the noobs to the experts. but also allowing you to find a gun that has a set of perks that works well for what you want. Destiny does not do this perfectly as some perks are overpowered compared to others, but Bunge keeps working on making the parks better and more balanced. Exotic and unique guns feel exotic (for the most part) from the Sunshot that can change detonate lines of enemies, the crimson, a hand cannon with a three round burst that heals and reloads itself, and the colony Grenade launcher that shoots spide robots that seek down and explode on enemies, Destiny 2 had some GREAT exotic weapons and gear that totally change the look, sound, and playstyle of your game. were some guns need major buffs or changes, the devs are looking into buffing and changing the guns that need it to make them feel as great as the rest.
Anthom takeaway:
The guns need to feel rewarding, were a great player can do crazy things and good players can learn how to use a gun to its full portal. Exotic guns need to feel, look and sound unique. Jarra's Wrath needs to do something that no other gun can do, it needs to feel like no other gun, look like no other guns, and I should be able to hear it go off and know someone is using Jarra's Wrath without ever seeing it. for those that play Destiny with me, how many times have I identified the gun you are using just by the sound it makes? I know I have done this, I have said, oh you like that Nameless Midnight or Better Devils or other? just because I could hear the difference in the gun. Also, some guns are going to be overpowered at launch that is fine, but the devs need to go back and balance the guns, I hate being pigeon-holed into a set of guns because nothing else is as good. and this will lead to fatigue of players if not addressed and mixed up.

Abilities:
Destiny abilities feel powerful, but limited, saving your grenade for when it is needed can make or break a fight. using your healing, energy walls, and dodges, your melee abilities let you set enemies on fire, throw knives, lets you do a charge attack from a sprint. And your supers are awesome with so much power. A flaming sword that you can use to throw fire at people, full on Emperor Palatine, A arrow that makes it so enemies have reduced speed, take more damage and have a harder time aiming, and literally fucking this.
Anthom takeaway:
Abilities need to be powerful if used right but limited to the point where it is a meaningful choice to use one that can turn the fight in your favor, but if used wrong or too soon can make the fight more difficult dew to the lack of that ability.

Raid:
Destiny 2 raids are some of the best and most rewarding experiences in video games, it requires 6 people to work together in almost perfect unity to solve puzzles and defeat bosses, requiring you to do a lot more than just ADS and start shooting. each member has a job, and if one member fails it can mean the end for all.
Anthom takeaway:
make the endgame content "storms" raids and whatever else requires more than just a super tank boss. make it require teamwork and a sense of accomplishment when you win or do your job right letting your group get farther into the raid.

Dew Nots:
Classes and subclasses:
In D2 you have a class that is held to your character this means if you want one of each class you have to play the story, level up three different times. From what Anthem has said this should not be a problem, however, they also need to avoid the subclass system from D2, you have three options each with two paths, sounds great, the issue is you can't mix and match, you are locked into perks for that path, so one path on the gunslinger subclass gives you an explosive throwing knife, the other a knife that if you land a crit kill will refresh, why can't I take the one I would find more useful and the perks from the other path as well? path locking is BAD, it limits the player, and yes some limits are good, you can't have two big heave weapons on your back, that is fine, but forcing players to take something they don't want to get something they do is not a good move.
Anthom takeaway:
Give player choice, don't lock one option behind another so they will have to take something bad to get something good, let them mix and match so they can take what works best for their play style.

Micro-Transactions:
In D2 with launch all the cool, but not useful look was stuck behind Tes, and the microtransactions, were this has since started to be fixed, what it meant is all the cool things you could but, or work for in-game, but there was nothing to earn.
Anthom Takeaway:
make the really cool stuff a sign of an accomplishment, showing that you just did something amazing, something to earn, a badge of honor. I am not saying have no microtransactions what I am saying is make sure there are rewards fitting to beating endgame and very hard content.

Warfame:
To be totally honest I got burnt out of Warframe some time ago, so if some of these issues are fixed now great, but this was my takeaway. also with Warframe, I will not address some differences between a free-to-play and a $60 AAA game. (IE microtransactions) as they do not use the same model.

Dews:
The suits:
each suit of armor feels cool and unique, some are really good at one thing, others really good at another, you have to take the suit that fits the need as well as the one that works in your play style.
Anthom takeaway:
each suit need to feel like no other suit, you may have as many suits as you want, and going out on a mission you should ask yourself two question, "what suit is best for where I am going, and what I am doing?" and "What suit works with those but also lets me play to my style?" if Anthem can make it so you can get an answer to each question and let that determine your suit it give your suit choice true meaning as well as personal preference.

Dew Nots:
I hated the gunplay in Warframe, it amounted to a four-step plan:
1: get Soma Prime.
2: hold down fire
3: jump off walls stay out of range until all minions are dead.
4: repeat until the mission is over.
they go back level up your soma prime a little and start over. it got really boring really fast.
Anthem takeaway:
make gunplay engaging, I have played the same mission in D2 time and time again because I enjoyed using the same guns, or new guns, in the same fight, just to see if I could do better, or just because I enjoyed shooting the guns. something Warframe totally lost on me. make guns fun, when you shoot a gun, your response should be, "I could shoot this gun all day at the same group of minions and be happy." this will exponentially increase the life of the game because people will be fine running the same missions time and time again.

Final thoughts:
In my mind, if Bioware can do this, and avoid the pitfall above they will have a great, long lasting game. I would love to hear back from you guys, what did I miss? what needs to be done? I bet there is a lot more dews and dew nots they can learn from Warframe, what are they?

This post is sponsored by Mt Dew and Yoda

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2018
Platform:
[PC]
Javelin:
Ranger
The reason I think Anthem is in a good place is because they have the advantage of seeing Destiny 1 and 2, and seeing Warframe.

I have no doubt they read the forums, the complaints and take lots of notes.

This is Bioware's opportunity to grab this gaming segment and do it right by correting everything Destiny and Warframe did wrong.

I really do not have much negative things to say about Warframe, I think they are a finely tuned machine.

Yes there is a grind, but that is the game!

Warframe handles microtransactions very well, I like their model.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2018
Platform:
[PC]
Javelin:
Ranger
Yes, it is good, for a free to play game, Anthem needs to be different if I am putting $60+ down up front.
True, for $60 you want access to everything, but if this is going to be a multi-year game, then making a market economy between players like Warframe is one way to get people invested.

Sum1

Freelancer
Mar 26, 2018
True, for $60 you want access to everything, but if this is going to be a multi-year game, then making a market economy between players like Warframe is one way to get people invested.
I had no issue with paying for The Taken King for D1, and I will be buying the equipment expansion for D2 year 2. but in both those cases, it is almost another full game. But we are not even close to that yet, I need to see Anthem become the game that is being promised, with content that can hold me, then I will give them money, and if they can keep it up I will keep giving them more money for more content. They just got to show me they got the base game first.